Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Falafel prep 101

This came from a great falafel place inside the Old City. Falafel critiquing is an art. You won't ever find two falafel stands that make them the same way. Kind of like hamburgers. In the States Gary and I enjoy finding independent hamburger joints and critiquing their hamburgers and fries and onion rings. Well, it's the same with falafels. They are as varied as Carters has liver pills. (I don't even know what that expression means. I just heard about Carter's liver pills from my mom all my life!)

Three ingredients make falafels falafels: pita (nothing outside of Israel can ever compare), falafel balls, and hummus. Actually nothing can compare to all three of those outside of Israel.... The rest of the ingredients is left up to the artist creating it: cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, purple cabbage, green cabbage, tahini sauce, and on and on. Sounds good, huh?!!


We visited that falafel stand a few days ago when we took one of the house of prayer interns into the Old City. We also took her to the Western Wall and I just couldn't help myself. I had to take pictures of this man. He was fascinating.


And also of this mommy with small children. I study small children everywhere I go, because I miss my grandkids so much. These sweeties were adorable!

Ok...change the subject. I don't want to start the day off being misty-eyed.

Oh, btw, the Mexican food at the Intern dinner last night turned out great! Hard tacos, soft tacos, Gary's yummy guacamole, and we even had grated cheese! My next door neighbor showed me the closest thing to cheddar in the store, and Rachel brought me a cheese grater. Ahh, the joys of life.

6 comments:

  1. ick. Sorry mom. I know this is the whole point of your blog, but I just DO NOT love me some falafels. I will be with Preston and eat Shwarma, plain. ;-)
    Love you mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not the whole point, the whole theme :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto except i won't even do the scwarma... what to do, what to do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude you two are crazy. nothing beats a good falafel. I'm with you Jerri. Thanks for this post, I did appreciate it! makes me want one so bad.....
    -Danny McCoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited ya'll are there and I'm glad you are doing this blog..wow..has your life been blessed, or what, sista....?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Falafel.... I was craving a falafel the other day and went to to Arab market to find falafel to eat on my lunch break. When I went to pay for falafel the man said it was on him. I was blessed with 2 free falafel to eat. I thank the Lord for the free lunch but when I ate the falafel is was nothing like the falafel that is made in Israel. I will have to come back and eat falafel one day. Thanks for the pictures and your stories in Israel.

    ReplyDelete