Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Erev Shabbat

Last Friday night we had a community erev shabbat meal on the patio outside of the prayer room at Succat Hallel. I and a few of the interns got there early to set up tables and chairs for the meal. Getting the chairs out of the prayer room while a watch was going on was a little tricky, but we did it.

After we got things set up, we sat in the staff room and talked for a while. I'm beginning to realize how lonely we were during our first few weeks in Jerusalem. It was just Gary, Preston and me for about five weeks. We loved being together, don't get me wrong. Our culture shock was not your normal culture shock. It was having to get used to not being around a house full of people all the time! At our house in Grand Prairie there was rarely a time that it was empty. We had young adults in and out ALL the time. Seriously, all the time. We feel so at home with tons of people. Yes, it's a lot of work, but the benefits far outweigh the work and extra funds involved. Community is such a core value to us. It's only in community that true discipleship takes place. It's amazing how people open up when they feel they belong, when they feel comfortable and at home. We have a rule at our house. Never ring the door bell. Just come in. I can't tell you the joy in my heart when I look up and see someone walk in the room who is just coming to hang out. It makes my heart smile. Okay...wow....how did I get off on that rabbit trail?! I remember... I was saying that we sat in the staff room and talked for a while after we got the tables and chairs set up. It's funny how the mind works...

After everyone gathered, Patti Ridings lit the shabbat candles and prayed, then Rick blessed the challah and Martin Sarvis blessed the wine.



We then sang Shabbat Shalom and started eating. The weather was beautiful, not too hot and not too cool. Of course we never have to worry about contigency plans in case of rain. Summer is the dry season in Israel. We have been here two months now, and it has only sprinkled twice. Israelis don't say "sprinkle". They say "rain". They were excited that it rained twice. Both times you could stand out in it without getting soaked, so that's "sprinkle" in my book! Anyway...we had wonderful fellowship and food!

Rachel Baker and two of our interns, Stephanie from Denver and Maggie from Be'er Sheva.

Nathan Gathright, Preston, Hunter Ward, and my precious one, GB, waiting for the food line to shorten. I love these guys!

Afterwards we all met in the prayer room for a time of worship. Gary and our team led worship, and we had so much fun. It's so easy to lead worship in a room full of intercessors and worship leaders. You can play one chord and they are already in the Throne room!

Rachel took this pic earlier when they were rehearsing. (Oops, my songbook is in the window.) This is Mount Zion. Just to the right is the outskirts of the City of David. I'm still amazed every time I look out the window. I hope I never get used to it.

The only thing that would have made this evening better is if I had had my children and grandchildren around me. Some day we will all be together again....
Our times are in Your hands, O God. Your love is worth it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment