Friday, July 10, 2009

Twenty-four Years Ago Today

Twenty-four years ago today I gave birth to a 8 lb. 7oz. baby boy! At this moment 24 years ago his Dad and I were still in shock, because the sonogram lady 4 months earlier had said that she was 98% sure that he was a she. The nursery was pink and we had nothing for a little boy to wear! We were in shock but we couldn't have been happier! I started screaming when Dr. Fong said, "It's a boy!" I kept saying over and over again, "A boy?!!! A boy?!!!" Gary and I both cried. We couldn't believe it. We had our boy after having two girls. We didn't even decide on his name until a few days later. Austin Wayne Benjamin.....We named him after his dad. Wayne is Gary's middle name and it's also my dad's middle name.

Here in Israel I don't have access to all the baby pictures, but here are a couple I found online.
Austin is 3 here and Landon is 18 months. Aren't they cute?! Notice the white knee socks!


Here is Austin and Destiny at a Drama Banquet at the Academy over 10 years ago. He makes a cute frog! It looks like they went as the princess and the frog.

Austin has always been such a joy to our family. He is so sensitive and loving. He has the gift of discernment. He knows when someone walks into the room if they are having a hard time or if their feelings have been hurt. I love him so much. The room gets brighter when he walks in. And have I mentioned that he loves sports?! Oh my gosh. You name the sport, and he likes it. Specifically, football, basketball, baseball, soccer, golf, hockey and softball. Have I left anything out? Probably. Cowboys, Mavs, Rangers, Stars, Burn, Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, and the list goes on. I'm so glad I like sports too, because I've been able to spend time with him watching all these games on TV. Great memories!
Austin and Courtney and her 4th baby, Judah Reign.

Destiny and Austin at his nieces' dance recital this past May. Notice the Rangers jersey and hat. He had just come from a Rangers game!


Preston, Austin and Landon at Hadassah's birth 3/20/09. (Landon's daughter)

This was taken at the airport when we left for Israel in April. Hannah Baker is Austin's precious girlfriend who we love so much (along with her WHOLE family!).

This is sad but sweet, and I couldn't help but include it in this blog. Austin and Preston at the airport dealing with the fact that they wouldn't see each other for 6 months. Ouch....


Most of all, I am proud of Austin's commitment to Yeshua. He has a deep love and affection for His Bridegroom, and he's not ashamed to tell anyone. I could listen to him sing all day long. I love his voice. He has a desire to lead others in worship and is very anointed at it. It comes out of his inner life with God. When we dedicated Him 24 years ago, we literally laid him on the altar and gave him back. He belongs to Abba and we have been given the gift of raising him. He is one of the End-time forerunners, who isn't satisfied to live a normal American Christian life. He wants to see his generation run after Yeshua with with all their hearts. He wants to make a difference, and he is making a difference.


Happy Birthday, son. It is such a privilege to be your mom! I love you and miss you terribly!

2 comments:

  1. ahhh, I don't think we have discussed this but Hannah was suppose to be a BOY!! So weird! Thankfully Ray had a vision of her when I was about 8mths pregnant so I wasn't totally shocked when they said, "It's a GIRL" but I had a baby shower and got ALL boy things. Everything was ready for Blake Christian! ALSO, I noticed what he weighed and that is exactly what Hannah weighed - too weird! Well, you 2 did good - he's a punkin and we love him very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Austin so much, too! He was such an good baby and an adorable and sweet little boy. He is now an awesome man with an amazing gift for leading us all into worship. Every time I see him I have to resist the urge to tilt my head sideways and say "awww!"

    ReplyDelete