Saturday, May 23, 2009

About This Blog

I've wanted to start a blog for a while but just haven't had the time to sit down and figure it all out. Now that I am no longer employed, living in another country, and, sadly, no daughters, sons (except for Pres) or grandchildren to spend time with, I find myself with more free time than I've had in a long time. (In a couple of weeks, I'll be dreaming about days when I had nothing to do except write blogs. We're about to get very busy.)
I do want to clarify that I have my youngest (almost-17 yr old) son, Pres, here along with my beloved husband of 29 years, GB, and we have been spending A LOT of time together. We have had a blast adjusting to life in Israel. And I mean that with all my heart. We are having a lot of fun. I love them so much. Here they are at our make-shift dining table the first night in our apartment. It was erev Shabbat. Do you see the challah on Pres' plate?

Anyway, I am wanting to blog on my life here in Israel. This is an amazing country, in my opinion THE most amazing country, and I want to give you a picture of how I see it and how I'm processing what I am experiencing. Most of my friends and everyone in my family know that I am a falafel lover. Before we moved to Israel, GB, Pres and I had a tradition of eating Middle Eastern food for lunch almost every Saturday. We tried out different restaurants around the DFW Metroplex, and most Saturdays I ate a falafel. Well, now I'm in falafel heaven! Seriously, falafel heaven. If you haven't had falafels in Israel, you really don't know the piece of heaven that you are missing. It's unbelievable....soft warm pita bread filled with luscious golden balls of mashed chickpeas and spices along with Israeli salad (cucumbers and tomato) and tahini sauce and hummus. Oh my gosh....just the thought of it makes me want to go get one right now.

Because of some pretty amazing confirmations, GB, Pres and I moved to Jerusalem one month ago. Below is a pic of me eating my first falafel since arriving here. Some wonderful friends offered to take us shopping for furniture in Talpiyot (a Jerusalem neighborhood) and we got hungry for lunch. We just "happened" to be close to a great falafel shop in the German Colony. It was sooo good! You can't see my falafel here, because it had already been eaten, but you CAN see GB's huge chicken shawarma sitting next to my arm. (He was behind the camera at the moment and he loves shawarmas.)

I promise not to bore you with falafel pictures in every blog, but they WILL make a few appearances every now and then....just warning you.

11 comments:

  1. Hey sweetie, this was so cute...and it made me hungry..why don't we go get you a Falafel and Pres and me a Swarma....mmmmmm sounds good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job mom! I hate falafels, sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE falafel and this new blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who doesn't like falafel? Seriously, it's one of God's favorites.

    Great blog post. Glad you're blogging now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well the flafel looks really good but once you started describing it, it didn't sound that great. Sorry.
    Glad to see you blogging and I look forward to reading all that is going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerri,

    What a wonderful start on your blog... very expressive... Your love for Israel and the calling for which you are anointed and destined shines through your words... aptly written... I look forward to reading more adventures! Thanks for sharing them.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job on the blog & how did you get your pic for the cover page? love it!! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's Gary's creation. This is one of his talents that a lot of people don't know about...graphic artist.
    I didn't want such a huge pic of my head, but oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Jerri - I love your blog and your love of Isreal.. It makes me even want a flafel and I don't even really know what it is.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also a falafel lover too. I have a place over here in Arlington or in Irving that I crave my falafel taste. You have really blessed me to write you journey in Israel. This really blesses me. I have a necklace where I wear the star of David all the time to be reminder of this great country where the Lord was birth. I can't wait for the next story. Be Blessed

    ReplyDelete